Produce for Kids is launching its annual Get Healthy, Give Hope campaign with major supermarket chains across the country to help raise money for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. I am excited that my local Publix store is taking part!
Beginning May 30th, the joint campaign will run through June 27th and will help raise money for children in need. The more produce Publix shoppers add to their shopping lists, the more hope they can give to local children. All participating fresh fruit and vegetable suppliers at Publix stores will make a consumption-based donation to local Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
To learn more about the campaign, you can visit the Produce for Kids in-store display. It contains easy-to-prepare recipes, tips for healthy eating for kids, as well as helpful materials with additional information on the campaign. You’ll probably notice that the display features characters from the popular Sprout health-focused children’s series LazyTown and The Chica Show.
Produce for Kids is also currently hosting a sweepstakes on Facebook that you need to go enter. Entry is very easy and the prizes include grocery gift cards in various amounts and even a Sprout Gift Basket!
To get you inspired to add a bit more produce to that shopping list, I have two delicious summer recipes to share with you. Enjoy!
· 2 cups 1% milk
· 1 banana, peeled, cut in half
· ½ avocado, pitted, peeled
· 1 cup spinach, gently packed
· 1 cup green apple, cored, chopped
· 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed
· 2 Tbsp. honey
Blend milk, banana, avocado, spinach, apple, flax seed and honey in blender until smooth.
· 2 bananas, peeled, chopped
· 3 cups lowfat yogurt
· 1 cup pineapple, cored, chopped
· ¼ cup caramel dip
1. Place bananas in freezer bag and freeze overnight.
2. Blend bananas, yougurt and pineapple in blender until thick and smooth.
3. Portion and freeze for 25 minutes.
4. Drizzle with caramel dip and serve.