So, when we signed up for the Disney Movie Club a few weeks ago, I knew that we had to order Lilo and Stitch! I have seen the movie many times before, but Raileigh had never seen it. Since I know the story inside and out by now, I began to look for Easter Eggs hidden within the movie.
Just in case you don’t know what an Easter Egg is, here is the definition, according to Wikipedia.
A virtual Easter egg is an intentional hidden message, in-joke or feature in a work such as a computer program, web page, video game, movie, book or crossword. The term was coined—according to Warren Robinett—by Atari after they were pointed to the secret message left by Robinett in the game Adventure. It draws a parallel with the custom of the Easter egg hunt observed in many Western nations as well as the last Russian imperial family’s tradition of giving elaborately jeweled egg-shaped creations by Carl Fabergé which contained hidden surprises.
There are actually many Easter Eggs hidden within Lilo and Stitch. Some are very easy to see and some are not– they are only on screen for a moment and if you blink, they’re gone. Let me know which ones you’ve seen and of any more that you know about!
- On the main menu, click on sneak peeks. Place your cursor on the wave logo (the one that takes you back to the main menu). Press the Left button on your remote control, and you should see an outline of Stitch’s face. Press the Enter button to see a preview of Stitch’s upcoming, direct-to-video movie.
- Find the scene at the very beginning of the movie where Dr. Jumba is on trial. For a moment, just before he begins to describe Stitch’s abilities, you can find a Hidden Mickey on the platform he’s standing on. It’s yellow and on the left-hand portion of the platform.
- Find the scene at the beginning of the movie where Jumba is on trial and Stitch has already been brought out. Stitch will be on the left-hand side of the screen, Jumba on the right. Above Stitch is some alien writing on the wall. One of the characters is a Hidden Mickey, turned sideways.
- Find the scene where Stitch has escaped the ship carrying him to exile. The aliens are tracking where on Earth Stitch is going to land. You will see a small screen showing the Hawaiian Islands. There are some other small green screens as well. The one in the lower left-hand corner contains a Hidden Mickey!
- Find the scene where Lilo looks out the window and witnesses Stitch crash to Earth, there is a Dumbo doll in the box under the easel.
- Find the scene where Lilo is showing Stitch around her room. Notice all of the drawings hanging on the wall. There is one hanging above the bed that features a drawing of a vintage Mickey Mouse!
- Find the scene where Stitch breaks the water gun apart on the beach in front of Cobra (the social worker). A crowd of people run by in terror. The last two people to run by are cartoon version of the directors, Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois. Chris has blonde hair and sunglasses. Dean is a guy in a baseball cap and red shirt with a beard.
- Find the scene where Lilo is showing Stitch around town. They stop for a slushie. In the background is a postcard stand. The postcard on the bottom is of Cinderella’s Castle at the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Find the scene where Lilo and Stitch are hula dancing in the market. Behind them is a melon cart. In the bottom left-hand corner of the cart, three small melons make a Hidden Mickey!
- Find the scene where Lilo is showing Nani how how Stitch plays records (Lilo puts Stitch’s finger on the record player, opens his mouth, and the music comes out). If you look on the wall behind Nani’s bed, there is a Mulan poster.
- Find the scene where Dr. Jumba and Blinkley are climbing out of the water. After Blinkley pulls the octopus off his face, notice the rocks on the ground. One formation is clearly shaped like a Hidden Mickey!
- Once again, find the scene where Dr. Jumba and Blinkley are climbing out of the water. Look at Blinkley when he has the octopus on his face. There are three circles on the octopus’ head. The three circles create a Hidden Mickey!
- Find the scene where Stitch is trying to rescue Lilo. Stitch lands on Gantu’s windshield. You’ll then see Gantu try and get Stitch off the windshield by pressing a button. Look in the lower left-hand corner of Gantu’s console. There is a screen shaped like a Hidden Mickey!
- Find the scene towards the end of the movie where they are celebrating Christmas and Jambu is dressed as Santa. There is a plant hanging across the top of the screen. There is a cluster of three berries that looks like a Hidden Mickey.
- Find the scene mentioned previously, where everyone is celebrating Christmas. Look closely at the presents. One of them is wrapped in paper that has berries shaped like a Hidden Mickey with leaves.
This number can be seen in a number of Disney Movies, as well as some animated television shows. A113 is the number of a classroom at the California Institute of the Arts. Many graduates of the institution used this room, including Pixar directors John Lasseter and Brad Bird. You will find this letter/ number sequence numerous times throughout Lilo and Stitch.
- Find the scene where Stitch is building a model of San Francisco in Lilo’s room. Pay close attention Stitch is wrecking the city and you can spot a Hawaiian license plate with A113 on it.
- Find the scene where Stitch is trying to rescue Lilo from the ship. He falls back to Earth and sees a truck (which goes on to burn in the lava). The license plate of the truck reads A113.
- Find the scene where the aliens wreck the house. You’ll see Nani and a firetruck drive by. The license plate on the firetruck says A113.
- Find the picture during the credits of the movie where they are washing their new beetle. The license plate is A113.