I think it is no secret by now that I really enjoy sewing. I am easily bored, so I am always up for trying out new patterns. Several months ago Denise of Whimsy Couture announced that she was looking for pattern testers for an exciting new pattern she had made. Of course, I jumped at the chance to try out a Whimsy Couture pattern. I had browsed her shop numerous times and even entered to win patterns on other blogs. However, I had never had the opportunity to try out one of Denise’s patterns… until now!
I was thrilled with Denise’s quick response that she would love to have me test out the pattern. She had attached the Easy Breezy Shirred Tops & Dresses pattern to the email. So, I was all set to start sewing. This pattern is perfect for me. I absolutely love shirring. I know a lot of people are scared of it, but there really is no need to be. It’s incredibly simple. Plus, if this is a technique you are unfamiliar with, Denise tells you exactly how to do it within the pattern.
I started by reading through all of the instructions first. This makes the entire process flow smoother and I think it helps to cut down on mistakes. It is really easy to decide which size pattern to use. Denise lists the final measurements of the garment for each size, so as long as you know the basic measurements your child normally wears, you will be fine. I cut my fabric according to Denise’s calculations. I decided to add a contrast band at the bottom, so I allowed for that.
This dress is fabulous because it sews up in no time at all. The directions in this pattern are quite simple and easy to follow. There are also great pictures to help guide you visually. The best part is that even though it is a simple dress to sew, the results are beautiful! Plus, there are quite a few options for customization. Directions are provided on how to add a shirred waist as well, which allows for an entirely different look. You can even make the dress using different fabric for the front and back. That would make the dress completely reversible!
I was so thrilled that Denise allowed me to test out this pattern. I felt even better when she had lots of nice things to say about my finished garment. You can even find a photo of the dress I made on the etsy listing for this pattern! Denise also inquired as to whether I would be interested in trying out any other patterns and featuring Whimsy Couture on Wee Share. Of COURSE I was interested! So, I browsed through the shop and spent quite a long time picking out a few other patterns I wanted to try.
One of the patterns I chose was the 3/4 & Longsleeve Peasant Tops & Dresses. I love the peasant style and had been wanting to try out a good peasant top pattern for some time. I have tried a few online tutorials, but the sizing was never right for Raileigh. I am horrible at converting patterns to the size I need, so I was grateful to be able to try Denise’s pattern. This pattern has so many options- longsleeve, 3/4 sleeve, dress, shirt, stripe down the middle, contrast bottom band… and the list goes on! I decided to do a top, sleeves that more like short sleeves, with a contrast band running down the middle of the front, and a contrast band along the bottom.
General measurements are given for each size, but Denise also tells you how to measure your child to ensure the perfect fit. I measured Raileigh because she has such a long torso and shorter arms. Then, it was time to cut the fabric and get to sewing! Just as I had seen with the first pattern, the directions were simple and easy to follow. Every little step was clear and concise. Before I knew it, we had a new peasant top to add to the wardrobe!
Because we are in the middle of a move and my sewing machine has already been packed, I have not had a chance to try out the other two patterns that Denise sent me. I also have Over Tops & Dresses and Bubble Skirts. I have each cut out and ready to be sewn, but that will have to wait until my new craft room is set up. I know one thing for sure, though- I am hooked on Whimsy Couture patterns! I have no doubt that I will be buying more patterns from Denise’s extensive collection in the future!
Denise is so friendly, laid back, and easy to work with. She is always offering specials in her shop, such as any 3 patterns for $18. What a bargain! She also offers DIY sewing kits. These helpful and time saving kits contain all the fabric you need and it is pre-cut to your desired size! Instructions are also included to complete the project. Not having to pre-wash or cut your fabric will save you tons of time! Plus, you won’t have all of those fabric scraps lying around.
I am thoroughly excited to tell you that one of you is going to get to try some of Denise’s patterns out as well. One lucky Wee Share reader will receive 3 patterns of their choice from Whimsy Couture! If you see one that meets your eye now, though, don’t hesitate to go ahead and buy it. With all of the patterns you have to choose from, I doubt you’d have any trouble choosing three more if you are the winner! Thank you, Denise, for sponsoring this fabulous giveaway!
YOU MUST LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN YOUR COMMENTS IF IT IS NOT VISIBLE IN YOUR BLOGGER PROFILE… IF I CANNOT CONTACT YOU, THEN YOU CANNOT WIN!
Mandatory Entry (MUST be done before any extra entries will qualify)- Become a PUBLIC follower of the Whimsy Couture blog
Extra Entries (Must leave a separate comment for each entry):
– 1 extra entry- Follow Whimsy Couture with Networked Blogs (about halfeay down, right hand side)
– 1 extra entry- Mark the Whimsy Couture shop as a favorite on esty (leave etsy ID in comment)
– 2 extra entries- Grab the all new Whimsy Couture button– Leave a web address where it can be found
– 3 extra entries- Subscribe to the Whimsy Couture Newsletter (part of the way down, right hand side)- Leave email address you used in comment
– 1 extra entry- PUBLICLY follow Wee Share using Google Friend
– 1 extra entry- subscribe to Wee Share via email (must be activated to count)
– 1 extra entry- follow WeeShare on twitter (include your twitter ID)
– 1 extra entry- tweet about this giveaway (may be done daily) You can use this tweet: Win a 3 pack of sewing patterns from Whimsy Couture! You choose the patterns! Enter @WeeShare http://tiny.cc/dmuij ends 5/5
– 1 extra entry- Stumble this post- leave username in commment
– 1 extra entry- Digg this post- leave username in comment
– 5 extra entries- Blog about this giveaway and provide a link back to the giveaway AND a link to the Whimsy Couture blog… must be more than just a link– it’s worth 5 entries! (please include web address of blog post in your comment)
– 2 extra entries- Add this giveaway to any linky (can be done up to 5 times for 2 entries each time)
– 3 extra entries- add my button to your blog. Let me know where I can find it!
– 10 extra entries- Sign up for sponsored tweets using THIS link. Leave username in comment– I WILL check this!
Giveaway will end at 11:59 EST on May 5, 2010. Open WORLDWIDE! Winner will be chosen using a random number generator. Winner will be contacted via email and will have 48 hours to respond before I choose a new winner.